Ely High School 1905-1972 - What's NEW ?
change detection on this page by visualping
about this website, and some small print
The date of our next Annual Reunion Luncheon has been changed again. Subject to prevailing precautions it be in May 2022.
Please keep in touch with this page for further information when available.
- Reunion change - the event planned for 22 May has been postponed to May 2022 as it could not take place under the prevailing precautions.
- Lisa Damms (née Turner) makes contact and identifies herself on the 1971 School Photo as well as correcting a few names.
- Christine Fuller reports the death of Daphne Rumbelow (née Hunt) who was in the 1951 entry - see In Memoriam.
- And in the same entry, Rosemary Curle (née Harris) died on Thursday 15 April 2021 of pneumonia - see In Memoriam.
- Fiz Markham reports that her sister Christine Markham died in 2018. Christine was at EHS 1959 to 1965 - see In Memoriam.
Fizz also wonders what happened to Gertie Greenwood (Music). "She was very inspirational, if a bit frightening at times."
- Christine Fuller reports the death of Daphne Few née Cropley of Wilburton on 15 January 2021, aged 91. She became a teacher in Prickwillow and Haddenham - see In Memoriam
- Christine also reports the death this month of Sheila Turner née Gorham at the age of 88, the last Chair of the EHS Old Girls Association - see In Memoriam
- Christine Fuller sadly reports two EHS deaths:
Margaret Halls née Garwood, aged 85, a Littleport girl who had lived in Ely for many years, died on 28 January 2021.
Yvonne Julie Jeffrey née Knott, a Haddenham girl, attended our reunions for many years with her daughter Dorinda, also ex EHS. She died on 20 February 2021.
For more about Margaret and Julie, see In Memoriam
- Anne Weller (now Kim) makes contact from the State of Ohio in the USA, having spotted herself on the 1971 School photo. An American citizen, she was at EHS 1971/72 "for the 2nd half of O Levels and the first half of A Levels. Made many friends, many GOOD memories." She can be contacted by email via Christine Fuller.
- Jacqueline Taylor (now Burge) has made contact. She has identified Gillian Collins on the 1971 School Photo - "it brought back many memories" - and can be contacted by email via Christine Fuller.
- Sharon Ilett (now Reynolds) makes contact from the State of Minnesota in the USA. She left in EHS 1973 after A levels to do her Registered Nurse training at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in Norwich. On qualifying she married and moved to the USA and had two daughters. Sharon has returned to the UK on several occasions but is now permanently resident in the USA. She can be contacted by email via Christine Fuller.
- Eddie Hopkin has provided his mother Alma Nunn's July 1949 EHS School Magazine. From this have been extracted:
- a report of the July 1948 production of A Midsummer Night's Dream ... does anyone have photos or a programme? see via Productions
- a letter dated 22 June 1949 from Miss Tilly when on her sabbatical in Italy: see via Scrapbook >People
- a report on Posture badges: see via Scrapbook > School Administration
- updated Staff listings: does anyone recall the subjects taught by Miss Mason and Miss Richardson who arrived in Autumn 1948?: see via Staff
- updated School Officers: see via Scrapbook > People
- Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy 2021
- Penny Seaton (now Potter) makes contact. She was at EHS from September 1969, leaving the Sixth Form (by then City of Ely College) in 1976. Her first form was LIIIB (Miss Baker) in the Music Room adjacent to the Gym and had to have lessons at Bedford House around 1973 as there was not enough space at the new site to accommodate everyone.
- Joyce Freeman (her maiden name) died at the beginning of December 2020 in Phoenix, Arizona, after contracting the COVID virus. She is believed to have been at EHS from 1947 to 1951 and to have moved to the USA on marrying for the second time: via Christine Fuller.
- Claire Pettit adds a photo she thinks may be from 1916-18 of the Preparatory School and others drawn up in ranks, apart from the little ones among whom she can identify her aunt and uncle - see via Album
Claire has also added Eileen Tunnell (Mrs Stubbings) 1938-43 to the In Memoriam page.
- Meryl Wilderspin (now Clarke) makes contact from Berkshire and adds names to the 1959 School Photo - see via School Photo.
- Claire Pettit adds a 1923 Tug of War Photo featuring her aunt Mary Jean Pettit, who preceded her at EHS by nearly 50 years. Jean, as she was known, was born 29 March 1910 and in 1917 was at Bedford House kindergarten before moving on to EHS. In 1923/24 she went to a typing school in Cambridge when the family moved away from Ely for four years, returning in 1927 to West End - see via Sport.
- Claire Pettit makes contact from Norfolk and fills in several blanks on the 1971 School Photo - see via School Photo.
- The Soham Grammarians were pleased to welcome Carol Morton née Bidwell to their 2020 Reunion run via Zoom on 10th October. Her husband Michael had been involved in a story going back to 1961 and the Grammarians had not known that he had died five years ago. Carol received a warm welcome - see more by clicking SGS 2020.
- Geoff Fernie lived opposite the EHS Downham Road site. His sister Judie Fernie (now Vivian) was a Head Girl. She's sent him the book she's just written - From Inside The Heart, about her life in cardiac surgery and what she saw in terms of heart valves and transplants and things.
- The Soham Grammarians are holding their 2020 Reunion via Zoom on Saturday afternoon, 10th October. If you are in touch with a Soham Grammarian who is on-line please feel free to let them know. If they have not been contacted by the Grammarians please ask them to visit the Soham Grammarians' website www.sohamgrammar.org.uk via which they can request an invitation - those attending have to register.
- Beryl Clark née Lowe adds a Class of 1951 photo from the 2012 Reunion to our Reunion Photos page.
Are there any more photos from the reunions you have yet to share?
- Christine Fuller writes: Anne Driver passed away on 28 July 2020 in Lincolnshire. She joined the local Constabulary after leaving school and rose through the ranks to be a Superintendent with the Lincolnshire Police Force - for more see In Memoriam.
- Christine Fuller writes: Sadly I need to inform you of the deaths of two old girls both passing away at the beginning of this month - Brenda Chambers née Gilbert and Myrtle Hart née Lavender. Both were in their late nineties.
- The date for the next EHS Reunion has had to change again, for obvious reasons.
It will now be on Saturday 22 May 2021 and it is hoped that it will be safe to go ahead by then.
- Many of you will know of the work done by Michael and Lorna Delanoy in recording Fen Life among many other things. Christine Fuller writes: The death has also occurred of my cousin Michael Delanoy, a Soham Grammarian, who was husband to Lorna née Freeman EHS. He had been unwell for a long time and wasn’t his usual self when I visited them just before the lockdown. I have been to visit Lorna since and their sons and families are supporting her and will continue to do so. The private funeral was held on July 31. For a family tribute to Michael please click here.
- Your website is 10 years old.
Thank you to all those who have contributed memories, names, photos, school magazines etc. - please keep them coming.
- Christine Fuller writes: The 30th April Ely Standard had the death notice for Ann Dix née Burrows: "ANN DIX passed away peacefully at home on Saturday 18th April 2020. Dearly loved and sadly missed by all her family who will remember her with love and laughter."
I expect that maybe there will be more about her life in our city especially her involvement with local amateur dramatics.
- Hilary Foulds (now Heaver) has made contact from Northamptonshire: "I only rarely now have cause to visit Ely. I have identified myself on the 1967 School Photo" see via School Photo
- Jon Evans SG'61' has provided a photo of the coach that lost its windscreen on the joint SGS trip to Europe with EHS in Summer 1964. He wasn't on the trip but his future wife Jean (née Williams) was one of the EHS girls who took part. We asked who is the boy in the photo? He has now been identified - see via Visits ... 1964
- Christine Fuller writes 3 Apr: I have learned of the death of a former member of staff, Miss Ruth Johnson, who taught Cookery at Bedford House between about 1952 and 1955. She died on 23 February 2020 - for more see In Memoriam
February - March 2020
- Change of date of our 2020 Reunion: Christine Fuller writes, 26 Feb: I have changed the date of the Reunion this year because the planned date - 9th May - was in the middle of the National Celebration Holiday to remember VE Day.
There will undoubtedly be street parties, etc to replicate the euphoria of the end of WW2 in Europe in 1945 so I wanted to give the ‘girls’ the chance to join with family and friends in their own communities to enjoy events etc.
The postponed Reunion will now be held on Saturday 19th September at Ely Golf Club.
- Ann Casey writes: My Mum, then Elizabeth Green, from Mepal, was at Ely High School, leaving in 1947 to start nursing at West Suffolk General Hospital in Bury St Edmunds. In 1952 she married Ludwik Marczewski (known as Lutek), a Polish doctor who came over just after the war and met my Mum while she was nursing in Kings Lynn. My Dad retired in 1979 and they moved back to Ely. Sadly Mum died in 1987 and Dad in 2003. Going through some of their papers recently we found a few School Magazines, most of which I can see on your website.
Ann has enabled us to add:
- the 9th December 1947 Prize Distribution programme - see via Speech Days
- additional staff names that Elizabeth Green wrote into her July 1947 EHS magazine - do you recognise any of them? see via Staff
- a photo of a hockey team from Elizabeth's photo album, 'School 6th Hockey team' - can you identify the team and year and add names? see via Sport
- Soham Grammarian David Bray updates the July 1963 and April 1967 School Photos
- Christine Fuller has been informed of the following deaths of Old Girls:
Edna Russell, née Pease, passed away in 2017: via her daughter Rosemary, who was also at EHS
and the following in 2019
June Huebler, née Wright
Peggy Gibbon, née Beeton: Peggy was a local councillor in Soham and a regular attender at the Reunions with her friend Mary Cornwell, née Lee.
They were the oldest of of our Reunion attenders each year.
- Rosemary Mahy (née Cranwell) has been looking at the possessions of her Aunt Flo, (Florence Cranwell) who was at EHS in WW1. Rosemary found:
- a postcard of the 'rather surreal gym photo' we already had but with names on the back and a date - Easter Term 1915 - see via Sport
- another photo, which we previously captioned Senior Girls, has now been retitled Gymnastic Team, Summer Term 1916 and names added from information on the back of Aunt Flo's postcard photo version - see via Sport
- a photo of her EHS Aunts Flo and Dorothy Cranwell in school uniform and displaying shiny boots, dated Christmas 1914 - see via Album
- Do you know someone who was at Soham Grammar School? The Soham Grammarians usually have their Reunion Lunch on the first Saturday of October. However this year as a result of requests from some who have not been able to attend because other annual events always clash, following consultation they are trying out meeting on the second Saturday in October (10th). Enquiries via the Contact page of the Soham Grammarians' website - see the link on the left of your screen.
- Christine Fuller writes: Sadly I have to report that two more Old Girls have passed away:
Mary Bailey née Frost who died on 12 January was from Littleport though latterly from Sawston. Mary had attended many Reunions with others from the 1952 entry.
Audrey Woolstenholmes from Haddenham, passed away on 15 January aged 83. She had always enjoyed the Reunions but ill health had prevented her attending the last two.
November & December 2019
- A Happy Christmas and Healthy New Year to all.
- Christine Fuller writes: Today, 11th November, I attended the Armistice Day gathering at Soham War Memorial where I placed a cross in memory of Mollie Evershed on behalf of the present EHS Old Girls.
It was inscribed with the following words around the poppy:
306582 Lt Sister Mollie Evershed QAIMNS in Remembrance of a quiet heroine
On the reverse:
Old Girls Of Ely High School remember Mollie Evershed who gave her life rescuing others on HMHS Amsterdam off Juno Beach, Normandy 7.8.44
I was accompanied by the husband of her niece, formerly Christine Tricker, who placed another cross from the family.
- The date of the Annual Reunion Luncheon in 2020 is 8th May. It will again be at Ely Golf Club.
- Christine Fuller writes about an interesting new side to Miss Tilly that has been discovered following a contact received via this website from an Italian family - see via the link in Miss Tilly's entry on the In Memoriam page
- Julie Hildyard (née Moore) makes contact. She among the last to join EHS. Julie has added some names to the 1971 School Photo. She has a 1974 - post EHS school photo with names on the back "although not officially a High School photo, in the main we kept in the same classes."
- Brenda Huebler, (née Hardy) of Burwell died in Addenbrooke's on Feb 18 2016 aged 66. She was born in Newmarket and lived all her life in Burwell. "She attended St Mary's Primary School in the village before going in to Ely High School for Girls": see In Memoriam
- The Mayor of Ely, Mike Rouse, gave a most interesting talk to the Soham Grammarians at their recent Reunion - please click here
- The Soham Grammarians' speaker at their Annual Reunion Lunch on Saturday 5th October will be Mike Rouse, three times Mayor of Ely and an Honorary Grammarian. Bookings close on 18th September. For more details if you are in contact with a Soham Grammarian click booking form.
- Richard Vince has let us know that his sister Monica Mary Vince (61-68) died in 2008 - for more see In Memoriam.
- Elizabeth Wray (née Sculthorpe) passed away in 2018. Her mother, herself an old girl, said that Elizabeth had trained as a nurse at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and had later worked in an Ely surgery as a practice nurse.
- Lesley Osborne (née Jackson) has spotted herself in the 1963 School Photo and in the page on the 1965 production of Romeo and Juliet.
- We have been informed of the deaths of Iris and Jean Firby by their younger sister Sandra, who was also at EHS - see In Memoriam.
June 2019 - 75th Anniversary of D-Day
- Sister Mollie Evershed has been identified on the 1929 School Photo and links to the continued media coverage about her in connection with the British Normandy Memorial have been added (see via In Memoriam).
- As of 2nd May those who have booked for the Annual Reunion Luncheon on 18th May are (names when at EHS):
- Margaret Cockburn (née Allen) EHS 1959 to 1966 writes that her mother, Dorothy Allen (née Day) died at home in Witchford on Saturday April 27th 2019, aged 93. "Mum started attending Ely High School the year that Miss Tilly became Headmistress and she is pictured on the 1938 school photo." Dorothy's funeral was held on Tuesday 7th May at St Andrews Church, Witchford.
- Our next Annual Reunion Luncheon will be at Ely Golf Club on Saturday May 18th 2019.
If you are interested in coming please click here to open an email in which you can request booking information.
- Sister Mollie Evershed is featured on the British Normandy Memorial website. There is no permanent British Memorial to the 22,442 men (and two women) who gave their lives during the D-Day landings and the Battle of Normandy. She was posthumously awarded the King's Commendation for Bravery for her part in saving the lives of 75 casualties at the cost of her own when her hospital ship was mined. Sister Mollie Evershed, whose name is on the Soham War Memorial, is one of the women. She was a pupil at EHS 1928-32. Evidence from the EHS archive on this website has been used on British Normandy Memorial website. Her story is narrated by our Annual Luncheon organiser, Christine Fuller. To see and hear this and to find out about the Memorial Appeal please click here. We suggest you first read the page and then go back up the page to play the movie clip.
Is there anyone who might be able to identify Mollie on the 1929 or 1930 School Photos? (see via School Photo)
See also In Memoriam
The story has also been covered by the Ely Standard - can you help us to trace Mollie's niece Christine Tricker who was at EHS at the same time as Christine Fuller (née Bell)?
- Janet Hill (née Robinson) identifies herself on the 1959 School Photo in section 13 row 5. Janet queries one of the other names in that row so as is our practice we show both until someone else comes along to decide it.
- Sylvie Short (née Coleman) writes: While browsing our website recently, I had the idea that it might be fun to collect some memories of our school days. Then I realised the idea was not original; I think Jackie Sotheran (née Bidwell) may have been starting to try and do this. Before she died she asked me to send her 'the one about the mercury' which I never got round to doing. So this one's for you, Jackie.
Please share your memories, and not just pranks. What about musical memories, sporting memories, plays etc.? I know we have photographs, but it would be lovely to have some personal recollections to put meat on the bones and try to capture the beating heart of the school. It won't be long before there will be no-one left who went to Ely High School (as it was), and without Ely High School I for one would not have been able to do what I've done with my life.
Read on in Scrapbook > This and That > the one about the mercury
January 2019 - a Happy (and healthy) New Year to all!
- A sad note from Christine Fuller: unfortunately we have lost three former Old Girls during November 2018:
Gillian Sallis née Chapman, whose funeral five of us attended
Leonita Hopkin née Caldwell
Sheila Leonard née Lemmon, in Tennessee
If anyone has memories of them, please please contact us.
- Jane Hills (née Inman) makes contact, asking EHS friends to contact her via e-mail at janehillsATgmail.com [replace AT with @]. She recognises Moira Gotobed, Frances Wylie, Rosemary Ward, Christine Simpson, Christine Wakefield, Rosie Crow, Bridget Riley, Anne Wade, Olwyn Gladwell etc. "We were all in the Upper Sixth Form in 1967 with Mrs. Jones as our Form Mistress. Mrs. Hawes taught us A Level English and Miss Brinkworth taught us A Level History. I have lived in the US since 1974, but return to Cambridge every summer for 5-6 months."
- Jeanne Harper (née McCullagh) died on 16 December 2018 in Shropshire. Christine Fuller writes: The McCullagh family consisted of two boys and six girls. Five of the girls attended EHS: Eileen, Norah, Jeanne, Elsie and Mary. Their lives were spent in Ely as a close family unit and even when some of them moved away when they married they still retained that special family closeness. Eileen passed away in 2009, in Ely. I have always held the McCullaghs in very high esteem as each member is very quiet, kind, caring and concerned in every circumstance. I have known them throughout my life. Jeanne was truly a lovely person.
For more see via In Memoriam
December 2018 - Happy Christmas to all
- Jane Surgey was on the EHS Staff from about 1952 to 1959 as Head of Art. Peter Baxandall writes: We were delighted to find on the EHS website a ‘tribute’ from Margaret Prior, née Smith (in school 1950-1955) among the ‘memories’ in the last issue of the School Magazine. It mentions "I joined the Sketching Club, run by Miss Surgey, whom I remember as a small blond, enthusiastic artist." Jane Surgey is still (nearing 90yrs) a ‘small blond enthusiastic artist‘ and she is also my wife!
Jane continued working as an artist after she left EHS and recently wrote a book with photographs of the ceramic and terracotta work that we have left in the house, together with a short biography. We commissioned a website of the contents www.janebaxandall.com
- Peter Searle identifies his mother Gwendoline May Hepher who was at EHS 1927-31 on a photo provided by Brigid Riley - see in Album
July - October 2018
- Christine Fuller has been informed of the death of Helen Smith on 1st September in University College Hospital, London, after a short illness. Her three cousins were with her. Christine says "Helen will be remembered as a serious and studious girl at school and as a valued colleague in her career". Her brother Dr Edward GR Smith was in the 1956 entry at Soham Grammar School. He died of cancer in 2013. Helen was also a good friend of the late Jackie Sotheran (née Bidwell).
- Pauline Tambling CBE (née Dorling) has updated her page on the internet - see via Scrapbook > EHS Alumni on the Web
- Tamaris Taylor (née Askem) came over from Ireland to take part in a talk at the recent Soham Grammarians' Annual Reunion Lunch celebrating the life of her late father, Mr Peter Askem who taught Art and Pottery there 1954-72. He was also involved in local adult education. He became a Chief Examiner. The Askems took a party from EHS and SGS to Italy - to see the talk click here.
- Christine Fuller writes: "Our 2018 Reunion was a great success and held in beautiful weather at Ely Golf Course. As we gathered we were able to watch the Royal Wedding on television and we then enjoyed our excellent lunch whilst overlooking the greens and trees bathed in sunshine. A number of girls had travelled long distances to be with us, even from the USA. We thank the chef Martyn and his staff who prepared and served us our meal very efficiently. Next year we will be returning to Ely Golf Club for our Reunion Lunch on Saturday May 18th 2019.
- Jean Cohen (née Flude) living in the USA thinks she has spotted herself on the 1954 School Photo; "I lived in Sutton and was at the Centenary Lunch, where I met up with an old friend Wendy Dorling (née Hopkins). I met Georgina Smith (née Shane) at school and we have remained in touch since we were 10 years old, she also lives in the States".
- Peggy Mitcham has been identified on the May 1967 Reunion photo BL4 by her daughter Pat. Who are the other ladies on these photos? - see Reunion Photos
May 2018Our Annual Reunion Luncheon will be on Saturday 19th May 2018 at Ely Golf Club, Cambridge Road, Ely. For the booking form and full details please contact Christine Fuller or at 12 Bamford House, Deacons Lane, Ely, Cambs., CB7 4PT.
The 60 who have so far booked are, as of 4th May:-
- We have heard of the death of Peggy Tye. Please let us know if you can confirm/add more about her.
- There are two names added to our In Memoriam page:
Jeannette Blake who passed away in January was a gifted artist and went on to teach art in London before returning to the Ely area in her retirement: via Christine Fuller.
Doris Strawson (Mrs Daniels) "Passed away peacefully on the March 16, 2018 at St. Nicholas Hospice Care. Much loved wife of Paul. Doris will be sadly missed by all her family and friends. Funeral service to be held at the West Suffolk Crematorium (St. Edmunds Chapel) on Thursday, April 12, at 1 p.m. Family flowers only please. Donations to St Nicholas Hospice Care may be sent c/o Armstrongs Funeral Service, 43 St Andrew's Street North, Bury St Edmunds IP33 1TH. Tel 01284 723889" (from March 23, 2018 issue of the East Anglian Daily Times)
Four-time Victrix Ludorum at EHS who went on to teach. Distinctions in History & General Science at O-Level, Prefect 57-59, Deputy Head Girl 59-60. A-Levels Bible Knowledge, History. She travelled widely with her husband on walking holidays such as in New Zealand. Her sister Mary also taught: via Christine Fuller.
- Our Annual Reunion Luncheon will be on Saturday 19th May 2018 at Ely Golf Club, Cambridge Road, Ely. For the booking form and full details please contact Christine Fuller or at 12 Bamford House, Deacons Lane, Ely, Cambs., CB7 4PT.
- Pam Phillips disagrees with four of the names on the 1963 School Photo. The ones in question are 9/14 r4 no 3, 10/14 r6 n0 1, 12/14 r6 n0 1 and 14/14 r6 no 1 - in each case more than one name has been suggested, we are hoping some of you can help decide which, if any, are correct. Please contact the editor.
- Pam Segers (neé Phillips) makes contact and adds herself and Rosemary Dunnett to the July 1963 School Photo.
- Best wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year!
- Judi Langley makes contact from Dorset.
- Judie Fernie, a Head Girl 1967-68, features in a talk given by her brother Prof Geoff Fernie at the Soham Grammarians' Reunion Lunch in October. The work Geoff directs at the Rehab Institute in Toronto will be of great interest to those of a certain age ... and above.
- Alder, Brenda (neé Mason) from Isleham, who attended Ely High School for Girls (believed from 1952 to 1957) died on 9th July 2017, aged 75, writes her husband Peter Alder - see In Memoriam
- Carol Whitby (née Grint) makes contact -"I joined Ely in September 1965 starting in the second year, having done my first year at Wisbech High School. My final year was 1970-1971." Carol adds 20 names to the 1967 School Photo.
- If anyone in your family was at Soham Grammar School, please let them know about this year's Soham Grammarians' Annual Lunch which is at Soham Village College on Saturday 7th October. The speaker is Professor Geoff Fernie, formerly of Ely and now in Toronto - booking form
Andrew Martin has spotted his mother (then Glenda Dewey) in the April 1967 School Photo. "I was also fascinated to find that there are references to my Great-Grand-Aunts Lois and Winifred Yarrow in the 1936 magazine extracts. Both were teachers for many years. Sadly Lois passed away in 2003 and Winifred in 2006 - neither of them had married." Both have been added to the In Memoriam page.
Andrew's website www.familytreeuk.co.uk covers his research into the following family names: Babbage, Bailey, Barber, Bishop, Boulter, Bowers, Clark, Cooper, Covell, Cross, Dewey, Dewsbury, Fison, Flower, Freeman, Giddings, Gilbert, Gothard, Goltrip, Harrison, Howard, Howlett, Irons, Jeffery, Levitt, Martin, Moden, Newell, Newman, Ong, Poll, Steadman,Tall, Tingey, Watson, Whitehead, Yarrow.
Christine Fuller believes she can date as 1925 or 1926 one of the three early EHS School photos - see via Album
Uniform items - Helen Smith provides a Bedford House era beret badge and Wendy Roberts (Imrie) an image of a Downham Road era Summer Boater - see via EHS Badges/Uniform
Staff arrivals & departures 1968-70 are added - see via Staff > Arrivals/Departures
Miss Pamela Blakeman has verified many of the 1938 EHS School Photo names and added more - and has just found a 1929 EHS School photo.
Soham Grammarian Fred Eden has been showing his sister Beryl McIlroy (Eden) the 1938 EHS School Photo and she has been able to add some names, in whole or in part.
Rita Mease (Adams) makes contact enquiring about next May's Luncheon - two EHS friends will be over from the USA at that time and would also love to attend.
Wendy Roberts (Imrie) who made contact earlier this month has added:
- Speech Day programmes for 1963 and 1968 [Helen Smith has also added 1953, 1955, 1957]
- Photos and the School Magazine report on the Christmas 1965 Cruise to the Holy Land - see via Trips
Earlier Wendy said "I've had fun looking through the photos" and she has provided lots of names for the 1963 and 1967 School Photos, contributed to the Staff page and added Class of 61 2000 and 2010 reunion photos to the Reunion Photos page and a 1968 Chemistry Lab photo to the Album page.
Wendy has also provided a Hockey 1st XI photo for the 1965-66 season. That has prompted the creation of a Sport page - see via the menu on the left - to which have been removed the sport photos previously on the Album page. Wendy has since added the Staff Egg & Spoon race from the 1968 Sports Day (who else can you name?).
Janet Godsell (Horton) identifies herself on the 1956 School Photo.
Apologies if you tried using the Search page recently and it did not work. It works now.
Helen Smith helps to tidy up the list of Productions - see via Productions and adds:
- names to the St Joan 1954 and the Let's make an Opera photos, and the Programme for the latter
- a cast photo and name and the programme for the 1953 Merchant of Venice
- the programme and Miss Defew's review for the 1955 Staff production of The Happiest Days of Your Life
- a photo, programme, and EHS magazine comment on The Bells of Bruges, July 1958
- a photo, programme, and EHS magazine comment on The Imperial Nightingale, December 1958
- photos, the programme and the press and school magazine reports of the July 1959 production of The Rivals
Helen also adds the Prize Distribution programmes for the following Speech Days:
3 December 1952
6 November 1953
23 November 1955
14 November 1956
22 October 1957
Julia Lowndes (Brown) makes contact and adds names to the 1967 and 1971 School Photos.
Judie Vivian (Fernie) makes contact from California: she'll be going through the family albums when next back in Ely.
Rosy Wolfe (Broomfield) makes contact and adds names to the 1963 School Photo.
10 November 2010 - as explained above this website has moved from being hosted on the Soham Grammarians' website to having its own web space at the more memorable www.elyhighschoolforgirls.org.uk ... and the contact address is now firstname.lastname@example.org - otherwise business as usual! Please make sure you update on your computer as necessary.
Karen Eden makes contact: "I was the last year before they merged with City of Ely College before they went comprehensive, so the final 11+ intake. My mother Brenda Ames was also there from around 1946 onwards. There has never been a reunion for those in my year as far as I know, so this could be a good starting point. I remember well the last school magazine and going up to shake Miss Moody’s hand at the last speech day as the curtain fell on the school as it was. It was a very sad day for all of us, even though we had only been there a year."
Karen has named many of her fellow first-years on the October 1971 School Photo.
Helen Smith provides an image of the book-plate for the Arthur Tyndall Prize for Nature Study - research continues on him, which has found a touching memory from a man who says he was fighting alongside him when Arthur was killed - see via In Memoriam
The pages on Miss Tilly and Miss Defew have been updated with items on their funerals. Apparently her family knew Miss Tilly as Betty - see via In Memoriam
Miss EM Verini was Headmistress 1929-1936 and later, Principal of the Cambridge Training College for Women which she saw through to becoming Hughes Hall in the University of Cambridge before her retirement in 1953. She died aged 93 on 7 July, 1987. Research continues on her time at EHS - the 1937 School magazine could help here, if anyone has one. For more on Miss Verini see In Memoriam
Claire Peirce (Cowmeadow) makes contact and adds names to the 1967 School Photo.
Elisabeth Kennard (Atkin) makes contact, promising names for the 1971 School Photo.
With Remembrance Sunday this month, it is perhaps fitting to include Edna Gotobed's account written on 4 May 1945 and published in the 1945 School Magazine. She was part of the British relief operation immediately after the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp - see via Scrapbook ... WWII.
And from the same issue Ella Thurmott's account of VE Night in London, four days later.
A page has been created on Miss EE Fletcher, Ely High School's first Headmistress, 1905-1929 and Miss Baird's page has been updated.
See via In Memoriam
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) provides the 7th March 1957 letter her parents received informing them of the success of their daughter "in the recent Entrance Examination for admission to the above-named School" [EHS] - see via Scrapbook ... School Administration
Rosie Jennings (Askew) who left in 1972 provides late 1960s versions of the School Rules and the School Routine - those who were at EHS earlier, do you still have versions of these from your time? And who has any copies of the School Uniform Rules? - see via Scrapbook ... School Administration
Interview with Miss EM Moody BA, Headmistress 1966-72, from the 1967 school magazine - see via Scrapbook .. People
Work has continued on the listing of 'School Officers' from the magazines, some issues are still needed - see via Scrapbook .. People
The tributes to Miss Haynes (Science) on her retirement at the end of 1964 are provided from the 1965 School Magazine - when did she start teaching at EHS? see via Scrapbook .. People
Miss Defew's page is updated with the tributes in the 1965 School Magazine on her retirement in 1964, and her reminiscences and thoughts see via In Memoriam > Miss Defew
Sheila Heavens (Cox) adds photos to the Reunions page - names/corrections needed please, especially for 2003 - see via Reunions
Rosie Jennings (Askew), now in SW France, adds some names to the 1971 School Photo - see via School Photos
Ann Dix (Burrows) provides:
- IDs for Ann Gardiner and her sister Julie on the 1938 School Photo see via School Photos
- many of the names for the March 1955 Lake District Expedition photo - see via Trips
and (see via Productions):
- a photo of a 1953 production of A Merchant of Venice
- a photo of the July 1954 production of St Joan
- a photo of a July 1956 production of Tobias and the Angel
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) provides:
- a Cambridgeshire Times review of the July 1961 Sixth Form production of I Have Five Daughters - see via Productions
- a page on a March 1964 school cruise on MS Dunera from Venice to London - see via Trips
- a letter from Miss Tilly and her last minute amendment to a school report - see via In Memoriam > Miss Bertha Tilly
- the 1958 & 1961 Prize Distribution Programmes - see via Speech Days
- the order of service from the Centenary Reunion at Brook House, Soham 21 May 2005 - see Foundation Centenary
The remainder of the useable EHS photos provided by Ely Museum have been added to the Album page - they are said to be from the 1920s but some could be earlier than that and include sports day and classroom scenes and an idyllic picnic photo - see Album
Anon (via Christine Fuller) adds names to the 1938 School Photo
Sheila Heavens (Cox) has provided:
- a photo she took of some of 1953's V Alpha - see Album
- a cast photo of a Music Club production of Britten's Let's Make Opera, in the school year 1954-55 which includes her sister Janet Moden (Cox), names needed for the rest - see Productions
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) has traced some mentions of Miss Defew in the Littleport Almanacks. Does anyone have the 1975 very warm tribute to her memory written by Miss Bertha Tilly published in a local paper on Defe's death in 1975?
For the start of pages on Miss Tilly and Miss Defew see via In Memoriam
Mike Brogan informs us of the death on 7 Jan 2010 of his mother Mrs Eleonore Mary Brogan (Jobson) shortly before her 94th birthday. A Fordham girl, she was at EHS 1926-34 - see In Memoriam
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) provides:
- programme & some photos for the 1960 production of Twelfth Night
- programme & a photo for I Have Five Daughters - 1961 Sixth Form production
- autographed programme & some photos for the July 1963 production of The Merchant of Venice
... see these via Productions
- two Hockey 1960s team photos - see in Album
via Christine Fuller, a posed scene portraying St Etheldreda, with all but one named ... what, when where? see via Album
via Christine Fuller
- group photo added to the 1955 Lake District trip page - see via Trips
- an unknown class group, just says 71-72 on the back - see via Album
- 1st XI Hockey team 1949 - see via Album
Contact made by:
Rosie Jennings (Askew) - see above
Margaret Kempton (Harwood), joined in IIIa, now in Berkshire
1,000th visit to our website! Thank you all and keep providing information, photos and email addresses.
Hilary Handley (Turner) makes contact: she has just written her first novel
Whilst scanning some School magazines to make high quality digital copies the editor came across a story involving Miss Tilly's cat Sammy and Miss Colman's dog Jock which leads to the School Photo previously thought to be 1937 now being identified as taken on June 8th, 1938 - for the full story see 1938 in School Photos
One of the magazines contained a newspaper cutting, a letter from senior former colleagues and others, on the death of Miss BR Baird on 30th November 1972 - see via In Memoriam
Pauline Turner (Cross) died on 15 September. She has been added to our In Memoriam page.
The Firby sisters join those in touch.
Names are added to the 1959 School Photo, some by Linda Harvey (Cullen) and many more via Christine Fuller (Bell) who also updates the 1956 version. Christine writes "Eureka! I have found some more names for these [1956 & 1959] photographs. In 2008 I took photocopies of them to the Annual EHS Reunion Luncheon and a number of girls put names to faces."
Linda Harvey (Cullen) adds names to the 1959 School Photo - see School Photos
Extracts are added from the Easter 1936 School Magazine, via Christine Fuller. This refers to the death of King George V, the departure of Miss Verini, the Headmistress and the retirement of Dean Kirkpatrick who had for 30 years been Chairman of the Governors - see via the Scrapbook page
Extracts are also added from the July 1950 magazine, via Pam Blakeman. This has an interesting section on some local villages and the story of Janet Hubbard's year as Britain's Railway Queen, 1949-50 - see via the Scrapbook page
The Badges page is re-titled EHS Badges/Uniform. Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) adds her sister Carol's scarf and prefect's sash. Good, preferably digital, photos of other items are welcome.
Edna Collinson (Carman) adds some names to the 1952 School Photo and a couple to the Reunion Photos - see School Photos and Reunion Photos
The 1930 School Photo is added - one of those kindly provided from the Ely Museum collection of EHS School Photos - see School Photos
Julia Murkin, now in Cambridgeshire, has made contact. She has identified herself and many others on the 1971 School Photo - see School Photos.
Julia adds: "I attended Ely High from 1968 to 1972 and then went on to City of Ely College and then Ely Sixthform Centre. My friend Susan Glover (now Thornton) was in my class. In 1971 we went on our first French Exchange together, to Orléans. Sue has kept in touch with her original penfriend, Maryline Vaillant, over the years and they have spent many holidays together, both in England and in France. Next year it will be 40 years since this first exchange and Maryline and Sue are planning two reunions: one in France and one in Little Downham. Sue asked me if I could perhaps track down some of the other Ely High girls who took part in the exchange, to see if they would like to come along. Perhaps some of them have kept in touch with their penfriends too?"
If you can help, please contact Christine Fuller via the contact email address.
Pam Blakeman has identified one of the Ely Museum collection of EHS School Photos as very likely 1937 [a story in the 1939 School magazine has now identified this photo as 1938] and has begun adding names to it - see School Photos
Pam also provides the Speech Day programme for December 12th 1944 - see Speech Days
Extracts from the Easter 1936 School Magazine, via Christine Fuller, are added to the Scrapbook page
- We have a number of school photos courtesy of the Ely Museum but we do not know the dates. Originally it was thought that they are from the 1920s but the editor believes some may be 1930s. The editor has placed them in a possible date order, oldest first.
What we need to establish are the actual date (year) for each one - what do you think? - see via Photo Album
- Lorna Delanoy (Freeman) kicks off a new page for Reunion Photos - if you have any and can name (most) of them, please get in touch - see via Reunion Photos
- News that Pam Blakeman's new book on Ely has been published - Ely Through Time, priced at £14.99, is available from Ely bookshops, the Cathedral shop and Ely Museum.
The April 1967 School Photo provided by Anne Blake (Russell) is added. Anne wondered if it could be used as it was in two pieces and creased in several places but was persuaded by the editor's offer to salvage what he could. Ideally, if you have a copy in very good condition please consider making it available: Christine Fuller (Bell) adds some staff names - see School Photos
At the top of this page is a new feature called Change Detection. If you make use of it, whenever there is an update to this page you will receive an email. It's all explained when you click on the button email me when What's New? updates at the top of this page and follow the easy instructions. The service is free and the provider gives reassurances that your email address will not be passed on. It has worked well on some of the editor's other websites.
Martyn Davies adds more names to the 1971 School Photo, aided by being reminded of names by Anne Blake (Russell)'s Senior School Speech Day programme for March 10th 1972.
Anne Blake (Russell) provides the Senior School Speech Day programme for March 10th 1972 - see Speech Days
New material has been collected from Christine Fuller and Jackie Sotheran including some from Pamela Blakeman. Some will recall her as a fellow pupil and some as a member of staff. Pamela is a Trustee of Ely Museum. Christine Fuller has arranged for the Museum to provide scans of the EHS photos held by the Museum, for which we are most grateful. Although it will take time for the website to be fully updated we continue to welcome further new items - please see What's needed?
Pamela says she will be pleased to help - " ... a great site and will continue to increase, so congratulations".
The representation of the EHS blazer badge has now been replaced by an image of an actual badge, source Ely Museum's 2006 Ely High School: A Brief History, which is the text from the 2005 EHS exhibition at the Museum with additional material from Pamela Blakeman, via her.
Ruth Sindall (Barker) adds names to the 1956, 1959 and 1963 School Photos
Anne Blake (Russell) provides a Sports Day Display photo from 1947 or 48 featuring her mother Mary Handley, plus one of Mary's EHS prize book-plates - see via Album
Anne Blake (Russell): "I was thrilled to come across the Ely High School site .... It was lovely to see a copy of the last school magazine especially as I was one of the editors." - Anne adds a few names to the 1971 School Photo and hopes to provide more.12/08/10
Martyn Davies (1966 SGS entry) adds names to the 1971 School Photo (and again on 14/08/10)
The home page now states the purpose of this website "Helping those who were at Ely High School for Girls as pupils or staff to keep in touch and to share their memories."
Like any school not all have the same experiences hence a small but important update to what it is hoped former EHS will contribute "Please help us to add more photos especially the whole school photos, memories of all kinds, and images of memorabilia."
Betty Saunders (Leonard) makes contact, contributing names for the 1952 School Photo
Brenda May (Human) makes contact, promising names research for the 1971 School Photo
Audrey Woolstenholmes adds names to the 1952 School Photo
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) adds a few names to the 1963 School Photo
Frances Moll has made contact
Dorothy Defew is identified on the pre-1929 School Photo
More names for the 1959 School Photo
Bedford House: do you remember broadcasts being heard in the classrooms? - see Scrapbook
Janice Clarke (Parr) makes contact and provides a correction to the list of Head Girls in the Foundation Centenary booklet
Many names are added to the 1952 School Photo and one to the 1963 School Photo
Courtesy of Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) the following school magazine reports are added to the Productions page. If you have any recollections, press reviews, photos etc. for these or any other EHS productions, please contact us:
1955 Let's Make an Opera
1960 Twelfth Night
1961 Hansel and Gretel
1961 I have Five Daughters (6th Form)
1963 Merchant of Venice
Also courtesy of Jackie, the 1962 Speech Day programme is added - see Speech Days
A page has also been started on listing School Officers - head girls and prefects. Unlike for many school years at Soham GS, it appears there was no published annual School List of staff and pupils. The nearest we are likely to get to that level of information would appear to be the names you provide for the school photos. For now, see School Officers via Scrapbook
The Lake District Expedition in March 1955 is added to the Trips page
Courtesy of Christine Fuller (Bell) A Service of Thanksgiving for Bertha Tilly, Saturday, July 12th, 1980, Ely Cathedral, is added to the Scrapbook page
Which 'Old Students of the school' gave The Commemoration? Did anyone keep a record of what was said?
Courtesy of Christine Fuller (Bell) the Service of Thanksgiving, Ely High School 1905-1972, Ely Cathedral, 21 July 1972, is added to the Scrapbook page
Were you there - can you add to this page?
Christine also massively updates the Staff page
Wendy Khan (Sealy) is among those adding names to the 1956 School Photo: 1952 is also updated.
Gloria Skinner d 2007 is added to In Memoriam
Courtesy of Tim Webb of Soham Roots, the final EHS School Photo - October 1971 - is added: some names are added - see via School Photos.
Helen Smith adds names to the 1952 School Photo has a collection of play programmes, but is unsure of the dates of some of them - can you help? - see Productions
Christine Fuller (Bell) and Lorna Delanoy (Freeman) add more names to the 1952 School Photo
Some Burwell girls who came to EHS: they are listed on boards from the old Burwell schools, now in Burwell Museum - see via Scrapbook
Joan Simper (Reeder) adds names to the 1956 School Photo
Pat Phipps (Walker) adds names to the 1963 School Photo
the historical bits of the last issue of the Ely High School magazine are added - see via Scrapbook.
a pre-1929 school photo is added, via Christine Fuller - see via School Photos
more updating of the school photos
the Foundation Centenary booklet content is added - see menu
a Photo Album page is started, a photo version of our Scrapbook, beginning with several 1920s & 30s shots, courtesy of Christine Fuller
a new mini-poster page is provided - it's a .pdf (Acrobat™) file: three mini-posters on the page
Marion Chambers, who died in August 2009, is added to the In Memoriam page
Lorna Delanoy (Freeman) and Christine Fuller have had a go at the 1952 School Photo
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) wonders if anyone has memories of:
wearing indoor shoes to protect the floors in the New Building?
making a Shoe Bag as part of the first Needlework lessons?
writing out School Rules as a punishment (does anyone have a copy?)
the various arrangements for housing the Sixth Form?
having to wear a beret to and from school?
and how to spot a Prefect?
The text of the 1942 Prospectus is added - see via Scrapbook.
Also in new in Scrapbook, Refresher on the naming of EHS Forms
More updating of the School photos, please let us know if you have names to add or correct.
The text and images in the booklet for the Official Opening of the New EHS Building at Downham Road, 21st October 1957 can now be seen via Scrapbook
if you can display our mini-poster at your club, church or anywhere where former EHS or their families may see it, please print it off from our Contact page
a 'work in progress' representation of the original EHS school badge is added to the home page - are there any digital artists out there?
Barbara Yarrow (Day) adds names to the 1959 and 1963 photos.
Christine Fuller (Bell): I spent this morning interviewing Wing Commander Ken Wallis MBE (born 1916) who was an Old Boy of EHS in the preparatory school in the 1920s - see Scrapbook.
Christine Fuller (Bell): Our website editor visited yesterday to borrow a number of items and to make digital images of others, including school badges. It is hoped to add images of uniform items - what do you still have? see EHS badges via the main menu.
By permission of Lorna Delanoy (Freeman), via Christine, the July 1952 School Photo is added. It is something of a challenge as the back three rows are a bit scrambled.
Beryl Clark (Lowe) adds names to the 1956 School Photo - see via School Photos
the music is added to the School Hymn - see via Scrapbook
the In Memoriam page is updated
1964 Speech Day Programme added - see via Speech Days
1956 & 1959 School Photos updated
Soham Grammarian Roger Sykes, whose mother had the sweet shop adjacent to Bedford House, recalls living next door to EHS - see Scrapbook.
Mollie Evershed, a WWII casualty, is found commemorated on Soham's Town War Memorial - see via In Memoriam
School Photos updated including 1956 contributions from Heather Smith (Holliday), although she is not on it - see Scrapbook.
The In Memoriam page is also updated
Wow! Amazing! writes Ruth Charlton (Harper), now in New Zealand, and adds her name to the 1956 School photo
The account of the March 1963 expedition to Snowdonia is added - photos and recollections welcomed - see via Trips
Christine Fuller (Bell) keeps track of staff name changes through marriage - see via Staff > Staff Arrivals
Christine also adds names to the School Photos
The 1959 School Photo is added and identifications are sought - see via School Photos
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) and Christine Fuller (Bell) add some names to the 1956 and 1963 School photos
Christine also adds some names to the In Memoriam page
What's New, What's Needed and Luncheon Club pages rearranged and updated
Staff page added, based on the arrivals and departures noted in the EHS magazine
Productions page started, with some of those done with Soham Grammar School - see via site links
Golden Jubilee Supplement to the May 1955 School Magazine added
Jackie Sotheran (Bidwell) adds some names to the 1956 School Photo
The July 1956 School Photo added and identifications are sought - see via School Photos
The Luncheon Club page spins off its list of those in touch - see the main menu
1959 Speech Day Programme added - see via Speech Days
Search page added and Contact page updated
The 1963 School Photo is added and identifications are sought - see via School Photo